Monday, September 20, 2010

Why I want to go to New Zealand...

Prior to starting out on an adventure such as this so many ideas, thoughts, and feelings run through your mind.  But in order to gain the most from this experience it is important to actually think about why I'm going to New Zealand for two months.  First of all with the influence of the internet and other advances in technology the world is growing into a ever closer global community as each day passes.  No longer is it easy or even relevant to posses a "us and them" attitude as we are all ever more increasingly interdependent on one another.  Being able to not only visit a country but also live and work there for an extended period of time will provide me with an amazing opportunity to not only experience new things but continue to learn from cultures other than my own and in so doing so give me the tools and knowledge to come back and share that newly gained knowledge with others, in my own small way adding to the global community through bridging divides using knowledge.  Additionally, as a pre-service teacher my goal is to equip myself with the best possible tools and information so as to better serve my future students.  Given New Zealand's explicable track record in the area of education I feel as though I have a lot I can learn from them about best practices within the classroom.  Furthermore, on a more personal level I embark on this experience to challenge myself, no matter what form that takes.  Whether that is trying new foods, new sports, new ways of thinking, stepping out of my comfort zone or through this experience taking time to examine who I am both as a person and as a future teacher, I firmly believe when you push yourself to do something new or different than you are used to great lessons can be learned and gained.  I look forward to the growth and of course fun that I am sure will come out of this grand experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment